Along with our equipment list recommended for your trip, here are some key items to bring on any winter adventure!
- Wool long underwear top and bottom, check out our Norwegian "netting" wool when you arrive in Norway, with brands like Brynje. The perfect base layering system!
- Wool bra and underwear to keep you warm even when you sweat.
- Thin wool socks for day use, thick wool socks for night time! Keeping your feet dry and warm each evening is imperative on a winter adventure.
- A wool hat with a windproof material sewn inside to keep your ears warm and toasty.
- Sunglasses are key in a winter environment, make sure yours are UV Rated from the increased reflection of the sun on snow.
- A wool or synthetic buff to keep your face from being too exposed.
- Thin wool gloves for when you need your dextrous fingers and a thicker, windproof pair of mittens for over them.
- A butt pad or Reindeer skin to sit on during breaks. Insulation from the ground is key to staying warm in cold terrain.
- Big puffy jacket for breaks during the day and crisp evenings at night!
GUIDE TIPS AND TRICKS:
- A water bottle with insulation on the outside to keep your water from freezing. We recommend a liter Nalgene you can add insulation to for warm or cold drinks!
- A small thermos or baby (a half liter) insulated Nalgene to keep warm drinks for the day's activities.
- Dermatone skin protector and frostbite fighter to protect from chapping due to wind and sun.
- A lightweight book of polar expedition stories to read to the group at night. Examples such as Roald Amundsen or Ernest Shackleton, or an adventurer you love and want to share!
- Kvikk Lunsj, the traditional Norwegian hiking snack.
- If you have a cell phone or camera, keeping batteries warm is essential to ensure your device won't die. Bring insulation for your phone, and keep batteries close to your body in a pocket while not in use.
- Bring a treat for the group from your home country! Sharing stories and culture from home is one of the best parts of an international expedition!